I am Chris Purdie is a performance art piece involving thirty-five performers playing the role of visual artist Chris Purdie. The cast wears the "Chris Purdie uniform" and performs the role as they interact with patrons attending the artist's reception. For the duration of the exhibition, there will be at least one "Chris Purdie" in the gallery during their hours.

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Being myself

As I was walking around campus I found myself thinking in a new light. As Chris Purdie i find myself feeling a bit more reserved. this in unnatural to my life. My other identity is as a female actress. This is the identity I have portrayed most of my life. As I was Chris I found it difficult to be loud. I was more aware of my surroundings. in a class I sat in on we had a discussion about art. what is art? for me it is the journey of building something that make a statements about what we are and who we are. as i was in class i volunteered my hat to the teacher who used it to put words into it to teach a lesson about Dada. when the hat was returned to me two words were still inside. the words were "thou" and "possession". i put the words in the rim of my hat. I thought i might use these words to inspire a project soon. For a day I was not playing a character, I Am Chris Purdie. I'm not the interpretation of Chris, but i am trying to find the Ethos of Chris. As and actress you create a character but in this case the character has already been created by years of experiences! The other day while I was Chris I hear someone call me Lisa. I was so confused. who is Lisa. "I am Chris." I thought to myself. It was a strange feeling to not know who I was for a moment. I am Chris Purdie....

No comments: