I am Chris Purdie is a performance art piece involving thirty-five performers playing the role of visual artist Chris Purdie. The cast wears the "Chris Purdie uniform" and performs the role as they interact with patrons attending the artist's reception. For the duration of the exhibition, there will be at least one "Chris Purdie" in the gallery during their hours.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A good conversation between Chris Purdies.

I met with Chris today.  We sat out on the lawn outside of the b66, it was surprisingly warm and then surprisingly cold by the time we went in.  I kept picking little sticks and leaves up and breaking them between my fingers, I noticed that Chris didn't.  I tried to make a mental note.  We talked about how instead of our identity being something that is internal and external forces threaten it, our identity is rather the way that we internalize what and who is around us, we take it in, understand it in a particular way, and then that is manifest in what we call our "identity".  We talked about how in the 5th grade Chris noticed a kid in his class who was full of quirks, and Chris felt like he didn't have any, so he made some up, which consequently have stuck with him through the years.  I confessed that in the 8th grade there were some popular girls who had a habit of scrunching up their nose and top lip when they sniffed.  I thought it was cute (don't ask me why) and in an attempt to be popular in the 8th grade, also adopted the feature.  I do it to this day.  It was nice and a little scary to understand that really, in a strange way, we are all portraits of each other. 


No comments: