I am Chris Purdie is a performance art piece involving thirty-five performers playing the role of visual artist Chris Purdie. The cast wears the "Chris Purdie uniform" and performs the role as they interact with patrons attending the artist's reception. For the duration of the exhibition, there will be at least one "Chris Purdie" in the gallery during their hours.

Friday, March 6, 2009

The Rhythm of Life

Where do I begin?...In donning the Chrispy attire, there is an almost immediate paradigm shift. It is almost impossible to determine the exact catalyst, but it is existent nonetheless. I walk out of my bedroom a whole new person, yet filtered through the lenses of another being who has lived in this body for a very long time. Roommates don't really know what to make of this. I get a quizzical, almost reproachful glance from one, while the other expresses admiration that I am so dedicated to my craft. I really don't know what to make of outward praise. Out of my costume, I would accept such acclamations about my personal investment in the arts, but as Chris, the attention makes me feel a little too self-aware for comfort. I warm up quickly though. I have been listening to the music that inspires me, paying special attention to the rhythm of performance...the beats that drive the piece forward. I feel a desire to transfer that rhythm into my actions. I begin to feel my actions start to be driven by an underlying rhythm, kind of like a background music to my life. I walk out and people start asking me about my art, I find satisfaction in this conversation, although there is a lot more to say than can ever truly be said...but I just stay with the rhythm, and everything seems to be ok.

No comments: